Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Tennis Debacle


To get back in shape for the summer, Tyson and I signed up for beginner tennis lessons. Tyson used to play in high school, and I have always wanted to give it a shot. What a good excuse for date night! During the first class, I was nailed in the eye with a ball within the first 15 minutes. We joked after the class about how horrible I was, and how Tyson was Mr. Wimbledon. Lesson two was going really smoothly, until about three minutes left in class, when I heard a loud snapping sound. I looked across the court to see Tyson lying on the floor. Instantly, Tyson knew it was his Achilles. I rushed him to the ER, and they confirmed that his Achilles was ruptured. He left the hospital in a full-leg splint. He had surgery on April Fool's day, and the doctor said it was a text book rupture and a very straight forward procedure. His recovery was going well until his first outing two weeks after the surgery. We decided to get some fresh air and enjoy a nice dinner out with Greg, Amy and little D. On the way to the brewery, Tyson decided to navigate his knee walker down a curb. Needless to say, he fell directly on his injury. I bolted to get our car as the kids screamed and Tyson winced in pain on the street. Thankfully, his Achilles was not re-ruptured, but he did tear a few stitches. If the remainder of the recovery process goes as planned, he might be able to golf by August, although a full recovery could take up to a year. Even though we are bummed that we can't run another half marathon together this summer, something like this puts life in perspective and I am grateful that this is all we have to worry about right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment